Summer reading program teaches freshman about diversity

Michelle Poje

Diversity is the theme of Kent State this coming academic year, and it’s all thanks to one book.

The Color of Water: A Black Man’s Tribute To His White Mother by James McBride has been chosen as the required reading for all incoming freshmen this fall.

The New York Times bestseller, which deals with topics ranging from diversity to education, was selected for a new summer reading program implemented by Week of Welcome, the new freshman orientation week Aug. 24 through the Aug. 28.

“We wanted a book that conveyed different values which could be discussed between the facilitators and the students,” said Terri Capellman, director of First Year Experience.

A committee made up of faculty and students read 10 books dealing with the topic of diversity before settling on McBride’s memoir.

Brenda McKenzie, assistant director in the Office of Campus Life, said McBride’s memoir stuck out from the others.

“From a common perspective, we (the committee) found students could find things in the book that they could relate to and have discussions about with the facilitators,” McKenzie said. “It was also just an easy book for students to read that wasn’t a thousand pages long.”

The Color of Water tells the story of McBride’s mother, Ruth McBride Jordan, a white Jewish woman. Jordan marries a black minister and gives birth to 12 children, all of whom end up attending college with her encouragement.

“It had captivated the people that read it and prompted conversation among the members of the committee,” Capellman said.

Pernetti said volunteer facilitators and orientation leaders will help lead students in the discussion and then continue talking about the book throughout the University Orientation class and in campus activities throughout the year.

“This book will be a student’s first introduction into the intellectual environment of the university and what we believe and hold to be important,” Pernetti said.

Contact student affairs reporter Michelle Poje at [email protected].