Michael Schwartz Center: one-stop shop

Jessica Lentine

Whether you have to pay a parking ticket, find information on financial aid or get help choosing a career, you’ve come to the right place.

The Michael Schwartz Center is the home to most of the University’s administrative offices and is located on the corner of Morris Road and East Summit Street.

Academic Success Center

The Academic Success Center provides services such as tutoring, study groups, peer mentoring and supplemental instruction.

Tutors are available for subjects including math, writing, foreign languages and many LER classes. A student should not only seek tutoring if they are doing poorly, but should also visit the Academic Success Center if they want to excel in a course, said Diane Munson, the assistant dean of Undergraduate Studies.

Munson advises students to sign up for tutoring during the first week of classes to ensure a designated tutor. Drop-in tutoring is also available to anyone throughout the semester.

Bursar’s Office

The Bursar’s Office is where students can pay their bills and fees, as well as collect financial aid funds.

The Bursar’s Office also now accepts credit card payments on the Internet. Students can check their current semester balance at the Bursar’s Office Web site, http://www.kent.edu/bursar/.

Career Services Center

The Career Services Center provides career education, career employment, student employment and academic testing services.

Students can find on- and off-campus jobs or attend career fairs and on-campus interviewing to get connected with employers. They can also participate in career exploration activities and learn how to prepare for and undertake a job search.

Career Services also provides admission, assessment, placement and certification tests.

Parking Services

Parking Services assigns and controls parking for all students, employees and visitors of the University. Students who wish to buy parking permits or pay their parking fees can do so at the Parking Services Office. 


Students should visit the University Registrar to handle issues such as registration and schedule adjustments, name and address changes, transcript services and athletic eligibility.

The Registrar also posts academic probation and dismissal standings and determines Ohio residency for tuition purposes.

Student Disability Services

Student Disability Services provides assistance to students with varying degrees and types of disabilities.

Services that are available to students with disabilities include: Providing sufficient housing, transportation and parking; allowing priority registration for classes; and providing personal care attendants, note-takers, and sign language interpreters. Support groups and counseling sessions are also available.

In addition, students with registered disabilities can schedule to take their tests in a quieter location with extended time. Additional services are available upon request.

Student Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office handles inquiries about grants, scholarships and loans.

Each student is assigned a financial aid counselor based on his or her last name. Students can make appointments with their designated counselor, or stop by the office anytime and visit one of the two walk-in counselors.

It is a good idea for students to start applying for financial aid for the following year in January, Financial Aid Coordinator Paul Merlo said. He also recommends using the financial aid Web site to find scholarship, grant and loan applications online. 

Contact general assignment reporter Jessica Lentine at [email protected].