NEWS IN BRIEF

Mind, Body, Spirit trip set for Saturday

When over half of America is overweight, some people may cringe at words like Pilates, yoga or kayaking being used in the same sentence. But for the adventurous, the Student Wellness and Recreation Center is offering a day trip to the Mogadore Reservoir this Saturday. The program is called Mind, Body and Spirit: Mogadore Reservoir, Ohio.

Program Coordinator Pepsi Hutton said this trip is for anyone looking to improve their overall wellness.

A combination of Pilates, kayaking and yoga, this three-part fitness program is new to the rec center this summer. The first part teaches the fundamentals of Pilates. The next part features basic kayaking instruction, followed by a 30-minute paddle through the Mogadore Reservoir. The final part is a lesson in beginner level yoga poses and breathing techniques.

The trip leaves Saturday at 8 a.m. and returns by noon. The cost is $10 for students and members, and $15 for non-members, Hutton said. The deadline to register for the trip is Friday at 5 p.m.

This trip is also offered Aug. 13 for those unable to attend this week.

For more information, or to register for the trip online, visit www.recservices.kent.edu.

—Will Cleary

Child Development Center awarded grant

Teachers and education majors from the Kent State Child Development Center are working to develop plans for the fall semester’s wetland project.

The center received $2,148 in grant money from the State of Ohio Environmental Protection Agency to study the wetlands behind the facility with the children.

“With assistance from the Geology and Biological Sciences departments, early childhood education majors are developing a wetlands curriculum catered to toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners,” the EPA said in a press release.

The idea to apply for the grant came when the students were looking around in the meadow behind the center and became curious about what sorts of animals and plants lived there, said Pam Hutchins, co-coordinator of the children’s program.

“The mini-grant allowed us to purchase tools for the children to do research,” Hutchins said. “We bought things like specimen bags, tweezers and a digital camera to take pictures of what we did.”

Mini-grants from the EPA are available for projects lasting up to 12 months and the next application deadline is July 18.

—Joanne Bello