Letters to the editor

Stroke of pen won’t fix discrimation in military

Dear Editor:

Lately there has been a plethora of letters concerning my letter against the KSAWC’s petition. The KSAWC wrote to the editor saying that they are indeed an anti-war and anti-discrimination organization, which makes them the millionth club on the Kent State campus to be fighting discrimination. What they don’t understand is that rules and petitions will do little into fighting discrimination.

They use the example of Truman ending discrimination with a stroke of the pen. Racism and discrimination don’t end with a stroke of a pen. Signing a petition here on campus isn’t going to save gays from discrimination. Discrimination will take hundreds and hundreds of years to correct. I bet my left arm that the military isn’t the only organization that is discriminating against gays. Should KSAWC hunt these “bigots” down? Christian, Muslim and conservative groups should all be fearful. They might come after you next.

I do agree that recruiters can be misleading most of the time. But it’s always the individual who decides what’s best for him or herself. They tell you before you sign into the military that homosexuality is prohibited. Right there, a gay person can end the recruiting process — no questions asked. Also, although tolerant people like myself know that homosexuals don’t pose any threat to us, some people do think they pose a threat to them. Why else would Issue 1 pass by a wide margin? At least the military policy will provide some relief to those who fear gays.

Last of all, rules against discrimination and racism in the military don’t stop some soldiers from committing those acts. Violence against women is one of the most prevailing problems in the military today despite a major crack down and tougher laws against this behavior. So even if the military reversed this policy and placed new policies protecting homosexuals, discrimination would still take place.

Finally, I would like to say that I’m not a bigot or a homophobe. I’m not surprised that KSAWC is making that claim against me because the common rhetoric of the far left is that if someone doesn’t agree with our totalitarian Stalinist beliefs, then they’re a flaming Nazi! I simply believe that you can’t trust people with secrets. Silence is the most safe bet when it comes to survival in today’s cruel world. I would rather be silent and alive than noisy and dead. The current military policy goes by that same theory, which is why it works so well.

Michael Kapronica

Junior political science major

Thanks to the DKS editorial board

Dear Editor:

I am writing to thank you, the Daily Kent Stater editorial board, for publishing two very well written and thought out articles. First, your view on Ryan Loew’s article entitled “KSU to change workshop credits,” by writing the KSU administration says one thing, does another article. As a secretary in the College of Continuing Studies for seven years, I have always felt very satisfied working in a department that was helping students with those few extra credits they needed to graduate.

Being a student myself and having a daughter who is graduating this spring, we both have needed to rely on workshops to keep us full time for student loan status. Yes, I work here full time, and yes, I need student loan money. I was dismayed to read Patricia Book’s comment about the “Bucket filled with revenue … the departments drilled a hole in it,” which led many readers to think a dishonesty was taking place. (This I know because people have said as much to me.) Your view helped put things in perspective, and I thank you for that.

Secondly, I applaud the view you took on Wal-Mart in yesterday’s (April 26) issue. I myself have not stepped foot in a Wal-Mart for nearly two years, and I would only consider doing so to save someone’s life. I also ask anyone who may get a gift for me not to purchase it at Wal-Mart.

Again, I thank you.

Joyce Taylor

College of Continuing Studies