Students, artists adds a new angle to Art Building

Jennifer Zemanek

Steven Seigel looks at his finished earth work that is in front of the Art Building. The sculpture of newspapers and sod is made to become part of nature as it decomposes.

Credit: Beth Rankin

More than six tons of newspaper made up the newest constructed addition to the campus. Tilt 2005 was unveiled to the community on Friday afternoon.

Tilt 2005, which is near the Art Building, is a cone-shaped sculpture that is 10’6’’ by 18’ by 18’ and constructed of newspaper and sod.

Seventy-five students began working on tilt 2005 April 8 until the completion on April 12 under the guidance of artist-in-residence Steven Siegel, whose natural works of art can be found around the United States.

Siegel said the sculpture was pre-designed and appropriate changes were made once he saw the landscape.

“The students really took ownership of the whole project,” Siegel said, something that differs from his previous experience when working with university students. “The sculpture draws attention to the School of Art. It makes a statement that they want to be taken seriously as a program.”

Assistant professor of art history and coordinator of the artist-in-residence project, Scott Sherer, agreed with Siegel about the positive aura surrounding the School of Art.

The School of Art was very excited to accomplish this project and have the opportunity to work with Siegel, Sherer said. The contemporary piece of art has a large presence and attracts people to the Art Building.

The creation of tilt 2005 good not only for the School of Art but for the students as well.

Sherer said the students who worked on the project gained experience in project management. Some students worked on the coordination of the event, and others were able to see and help build this sculpture — see someone else’s idea become part of their own, Sherer said.

“The experience was fun and interesting,” said Kortney Niewierski, who helped coordinate the project and build the sculpture. “Steven didn’t just instruct us on what to do, but he taught us what we needed to know.”

Tilt 2005 is not just for the School of Art and the students in the program.

Niewierski said, “The sculpture brings more of an awareness to art and allows us to be more aware of public art especially.”

University President Carol Cartwright who spoke at the unveiling borrowed Siegel’s words in her introduction, “How can we understand our role on earth?”

Sherer said the idea behind tilt 2005 is to offer an opportunity for individuals to consider experiences in their environment as moments — or layers — within a continuous process of life.

“This piece is beautiful, and it’s only going to become more beautiful with time,” Sherer said.

Contact fine and professional arts reporter Jennifer Zemanek at [email protected].