News in brief

Students encouraged to nominate influential teachers

It’s time for students to think back and remember a teacher who has had an impact on their education at Kent State.

Students are encouraged to nominate a faculty member for the Distinguished Teaching Award, the university’s most prestigious faculty honor, according to advertisements for the award. This fall, three faculty members will be selected for the award.

If a nominee is not eligible or not selected as a Distinguished Teacher, he or she is still able to receive the Outstanding Teaching Award, another award recognizing the teacher.

To be eligible for the award, a faculty member must be on a full-time contract at any Kent State campus for a minimum of seven years and have taught at least one course in two semesters during each of the seven academic years. Previous winners are not eligible.

Nomination forms can be found at the Williamson Alumni Center or go to the Alumni Association’s Web site at www.kent.edu/alumni.

All students, alumni, faculty and staff members are eligible to submit nominations.

The deadline for nominations is June 30.

— Joe McKenzie

New address, events calendar among improvements to Career Services Web site

In early April, the Career Services Center switched its Web site address to career.kent.edu.

The goal of the Career Services Center was to create an engaging environment that meets the needs of everyone who seeks its services.

Not only does the new site tend to students, alumni, employers, faculty and staff, but it also has a portion for students’ families.

Staying competitive in today’s job market has been a motto for the center. The rise in activity among students and employers over the Internet was one of the reasons why the center chose to upgrade its Web site.

“The new site is radically different,” said Julie Stieber, associate director for the Career Services Center. “It’s easy to access and understand.”

The Web site looks more professional, Stieber said. There is also an automatic redirect to the new site for those who use the old URL.

A new feature of the site is a comprehensive event calendar, to go along with the easier navigation and the new look and feel.

—Joe McKenzie