Students and faculty share research at reception

Jessica Dreschel

Attendees of yesterday’s 11th annual Celebration of Scholarship were happy.

The event’s theme, “The Joy of Discovery,” gave undergraduates, graduates and faculty members the opportunity to share their research work with the community and each other.

“This event helps you realize that you are part of a rich, exciting intellectual environment here at Kent State University,” said Janice Lessman-Moss, an art professor.

Lessman-Moss was part of the committee that helped organize the first Celebration of Scholarship.

More than 100 people attended the event to learn about the diverse research conducted in the Kent State community.

“My dream is to have it packed, “ said Mary Lou Holly, director of the Faculty Professional Development Center and member of the event’s planning committee.

Three faculty members were selected to receive the Distinguished Scholar Award out of nine nominees. The winners were Kathleen Browne, Per Enflo and Marvin Troutt.

Student research projects that were presented varied from the recreation of a lost 1923 silent film to the analysis of picaresque novels.

Student participants were glad to have the opportunity to rub elbows with faculty and professionals.

“It feels good to be far enough along in my work to present it with faculty and graduates,” senior physics major Nathan Hudson said. Hudson’s work was part of more than 100 displays and posters set up in the Student Center Ballroom.

The number of booths had doubled from last year’s total, said Ann Day, Celebration of Scholarship planning committee member.

The evening ended with a reception and performances from the Kent Dance Ensemble. One group danced to jazz pieces by Billie Holiday and Charles Mingus. The other group performed to George Frederick Handel’s “Concerti Grossi, Opus 6.”

Contact academic technology reporter Jessica Dreschel at [email protected].