Optimism about the new generation

Andrew Bradley's view

From the moment of conception, our personal and physical measurement of time begins. The cycle of humanity continues. The hourglass is fixed, and the sands sift downward. A new generation enters the splendid and fascinating arena of the world.

As we enter the university, our friend intelligence reveals herself slowly to us. The education from our previous environment just was not good enough. It does not satisfy our complex questions. We want the answers! We want to tackle the big issues — head on! We want to understand. But more importantly, we want the world to be a realm of peaceful harmonies. Yes Kent State, the pen is mightier than the sword!

Utopia! Yes! That is the word! Utopia! Our professors understand this word. We should head into a direction of human reason, not bias or seclusion. We must understand the common interest of society as a whole, not obsessive concepts like personal gain, which lead to greed and dominance over others. In Utopia, we take care of the weak and the poor. No more natural selection. We have long passed this stage of brutality, or have we?

The experts want us to search through historical archives. What injustices were made and who fell to the ground defending their convictions? Who walked up to the pulpit despite persecution? Who finally discovered the fragile state of human interaction? Do you know that the historical events of both world wars currently have an immense impact on political psychology? Look around campus and you can still see new nuclear shelter signs.

Let us not forget our precious Martin Luther King, Jr. He wanted to rid America of prejudice and discrimination. He was assassinated because of his message. We will never forget your wonderful contribution, Dr. King. What lesson can we learn from these tragic events? Let us not search for a scapegoat, but prevent history from recycling itself. Who will be our next Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Our professors understand that change does not occur overnight, but sometimes takes decades, even centuries. Even in 2005, military action by force is still used as a political instrument (Iraq). Why can’t the nations of the world find a common bond? Why can’t we collectively destroy our weapons of mass destruction? Maybe someone can finally give society the final solution to the equation that has plagued humanity for thousands of years.

On Wednesday, March 4, 1801, in his first inaugural address in Washington, Thomas Jefferson explained the condition of human error. First, I must say Thomas Jefferson was an immense contributor to the theory of enlightenment. He was a planter, lawyer, writer, philosopher, scientist and architect. We cannot fathom such a dispersed concentration of study today. Who is our next Thomas Jefferson? He drafted the Declaration of Independence and spoke six languages. He pioneered toward the positive. Thomas said in his first inaugural address, “When right, I shall often be thought wrong by those whose positions will not command a view of the whole ground. I ask your indulgence for my own errors, which will never be intentional, and your support against the errors of others, who may condemn what they would not if seen in all its parts.” What words of inspiration! Yes, Thomas, you have a beautiful mind. Yes, I will take those words and move forward. I might even add a few of my own words. What about you? Do you have any words? I am optimistic about this new generation.

Andrew Bradley is an undergraduate English major and a guest columnist for the Daily Kent Stater.