Workin’ at the car wash

Shelley Blundell

Kent State Stark faculty, staff raise scholarship funds

David Baker, interim dean at the Stark campus, participated in Stark’s fundraising car wash yesterday. The event was part of a month-long fundraising effort for the Kent State Stark scholarship fund.

Credit: Andrew popik

It took more than the threat of rain to stop Kent State Stark from raising money for scholarship.

As part of their month-long fundraising effort, Kent State Stark held a car wash outside its physical education building late yesterday morning.

Manned by various staff and faculty members and Stark’s own interim dean, David Baker, the car wash raised almost $55 until a sudden downpour washed away other potential customers.

“We had a brainstorming session and I suggested the car wash,” said Greg Walker, senior groundskeeper at the Stark campus.

“I think it’s good to encourage community activity and get all aspects and levels of the campus involved — I think it will become a regular thing,” Walker said.

Pam Bash, senior development associate and alumni director for the Stark campus, is very pleased with previous fundraising efforts at Stark.

“So far we’ve raised a couple thousand dollars from our various fundraisers, which will go into the general Kent State Stark scholarship fund,” Bash said.

“We have pledge cards for employees of Kent State Stark, which they can use to give a one-time donation to scholarship or opt for a payroll deduction,” Bash said.

As an added incentive, all employees who donate through the pledge cards are entered into a raffle for a chance to win gifts from the Kent State Stark bookstore.

“I think it’s important for all of us to become invested in the most important thing we as a community can do — make education accessible to all able students,” interim dean David Baker said.

As well as the car wash, Stark has also held a bake sale, with baked goods donated by both staff and faculty at the campus, and is selling “Kent State Imagine” bracelets, with almost two-thirds of the proceeds going to scholarship.

Bash said along with these, Stark will also be selling roses for Mother’s Day and having a cookout April 26, with half the proceeds from lunch sales at the cookout going to scholarship.

While this is the first year Stark has engaged in such rigorous fundraising efforts, Baker hopes it won’t be the last.

“I hope this is our first annual and that we can help build scholarship that we, as a community, have a vested interest in,” Baker said.

“I really hope we raise a lot of money.”

Contact general assignment reporter Shelley Blundell at [email protected].