College of Nursing to receive internal makeover

Kim Thompson

Dean plans to streamline scheduling

Nursing students who complain they must schedule advising appointments weeks in advance may soon receive a remedy for the problem.

Julie Johnson, dean of the College of Nursing, said she’s looking at creating an office of student services, which would assist in recruiting, advising and helping with enrollment.

“I would anticipate that if we go with an office of student services, we’d have at least several advisers available,” Johnson said.

A consultant is coming tomorrow and Friday to assess the College of Nursing and provide suggestions to operate more efficiently.

Johnson came to Kent State with ideas for making the College of Nursing more efficient when she arrived in January but said she’s waiting to hear the consultant’s suggestions and faculty input before making any decisions.

Currently, any student in the undergraduate nursing sequence must be advised by Connie Stopper, assistant dean of Student Services and Baccalaureate Affairs.

Students said the change is needed but also feel Stopper does a good job.

“I like the idea of getting more advisers because it’s hard to get an appointment with” Stopper, junior nursing major Paul Yungmann said. “But she does know what she’s doing. I just feel safe with” her.

Rikki Johnson, junior nursing major, added Stopper “has a lot of time and history with the whole program,” but agreed getting more advisers will ease the problem.

“I think having more advisers will take the load off one person, because if you think about how many students are in the program that need advice, I think it’s a good idea,” Rikki Johnson said.

Another idea administrators have to enhance student services is to develop a system for students to apply online, Interim Associate Dean Kathleen Huttlinger said.

Dean Johnson said she’s also looking at ways to allow nursing students at regional campuses to complete all four years at the regional campuses rather than coming to the Kent campus for their junior year.

Dean Johnson said she hopes to let people know concrete plans for the college by the end of the semester.

Nursing students can give their input to the consultant from 1 to 2 p.m. Friday in room 104 Henderson Hall.

Contact medicine reporter Kim Thompson at [email protected].