Student found dead Wednesday

A student was found dead Wednesday night at his Athena Drive apartment in Kent, according to the Portage County Coroner’s Office.

Mark Boyle, 22, was a senior human development and family studies major who graduated from Holy Name High School in Parma Heights.

Thomas Decker, chief investigator of the county coroner’s office, said a friend of Boyle’s found him dead about 7:30 p.m.

Boyle frequented the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity house but was not a brother, said Keith Potoczak, a graduate student in electronic media production. Potoczak had known Boyle for four years and is the Phi Sigma Kappa chapter adviser at the university. There is a possibility the fraternity will make him an honorary brother.

Boyle also did charity work for Big Brothers Big Sisters, Potoczak said.

The coroner’s office has not released the cause of death but has ruled out foul play, Decker said. Boyle appeared to have taken his own life. The toxicology report with more information will be released today or tomorrow.

“This came as a complete shock to everybody,” Potoczak said. “He liked having a good time. Nobody could understand it because you never saw him having a bad day.”

Potoczak remembered Boyle as a huge Browns fan. They constantly joked about the team together, he said.

A favorite memory Potoczak had about Boyle was when he dressed up in a children’s-sized Power Rangers costume for Halloween.

“He was a happy person that everybody loved hanging out with,” said Chris Moscarino, a senior marketing major who had known Boyle since high school. “He was always looking forward to the future and was the life of the party.”

Moscarino, who lived with Boyle two years ago, said he was with him at Glory Days Water Street Tavern the night before his death.

“He was his normal happy and cheerful self,” Moscarino said. “He couldn’t wait to party all week during spring break.”

Several Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity brothers attended Boyle’s wake and funeral in Parma on Friday and Saturday, Potoczak said. The line wrapped around the interior of the building and went out the door.

Boyle had tons of friends and was remembered as a religious kid who loved to help people, Moscarino said.

The fraternity brothers donated money to Boyle’s mother to help with the funeral and provided flowers, Potoczak said.

“The funeral was held on a dark and gloomy day that matched the mood,” Potoczak said.

Contact safety reporter Sean Joseph at [email protected] and sex columnist Sarika Jagtiani at [email protected].