Ministry party rocks out in Student Center Ballroom

Michael Lewis

Students dance to the music of the Voices of Testimony gospel choir at the Chainbreakers annual 2005 concert. The event was held in the Student Center Ballroom Friday night.

Credit: Beth Rankin

Students and visitors celebrated their relationship with God Friday night in the Student Center Ballroom during a party and live ministry performances.

More than 250 non-denominational people shared an evening of singing, dancing and mingling as part of Chainbreaker 2005. The event, presented by Shepherd Pasture for All Nations ministries, Salem Communications and the Kent State Impact Movement, included 10 different Christian groups that have one thing in common.

“They put God first,” co-host Janet Corey said.

Her partner for the evening, Ronny Knight, the “Supa Saint” from Z107.9, said he enjoys seeing the mixture of all races come together for an evening of praise and worship.

“I want someone to know the Lord,” Knight said. “Other than that, I want everybody to just have a good time.”

The evening featured performances by various Christian rock groups, the Voices of Testimony gospel choir, a comedian, a dramatic freestyle female rapper and miming by two artists — one with a black face, the other with a white face.

At times, the crowd came together under the red lights and formed a semicircle for different hip-hop and praise dancers. Members and guests grooved to the beat from the DJ booth as children ran around the ballroom chasing red, bouncy, light- up balls given away at the door.

As a sponsor for the event, S.P.A.N. ministries gave away brochures about its programs located in Tallmadge. It offers ministry for counseling and outreach, as well as men, women and youth ministries.

Kurran Bishop, a 2002 alumna, said the vision of S.P.A.N. Ministries is “to make the kingdom of God a reality by doing everyday stuff,”and focuses outward to all nations and cultures.

“The main thing is we want people in the community to know you can do your thing, and you can do it with Christ,” Bishop said. “God gives us all a gift, and he wants us to use it.”

Mishell Wheeler, Impact Movement coordinator and senior early childhood education major, said she hopes everybody has a good time and gets along with each other.

“We come here to worship,” Wheeler said.

The Impact Movement is an on-campus Bible discussion group for blacks that meets 7 p.m. Tuesdays in the Student Center, room 319.

Contact ethnic affairs reporter Michael Lewis at [email protected].