Real World = real stupid, redundant

Karamo and Sarah from MTV’s “The Real World” came and spoke on campus recently. They talked about their experiences on the show, as well as their areas of expertise, which were demonstrated in detail on the reality TV hit. These areas include: partying hard (just not too hard), flirting and “female empowerment,” which came in the form of some pearls of wisdom from Sarah.

After telling the audience she hadn’t had sex in four months, she announced: “I’m a 24-year-old woman. I can do what I want.”

She also stated that there is an unfair sexual double standard between men and women.

There are better ways to spend $2,500 of Kent State students money than on this mindless drivel.

Although many Kent State students are devoted to the show and the characters on it, that does not merit bringing these people to the university, only to spew recycled rhetoric from the likes of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and the rest of the “Total Request Live” pop video vixens.

When the All Campus Programming Board was contacted, Earl Watkins, artist lecture chairperson, said the purpose of the lecture was entertainment. It wasn’t meant to be educational or informative. If that’s the case, why were Sarah and Karamo giving a speech (albeit not a very good one) about the follies of drinking and how long it’s been since they’ve had sex? One could hear that sitting next to some particularly loud people in the Hub.

Karamo’s sage advice of, “Drink. Have a good time. But drink responsibly,” is almost insulting. Haven’t students been told this before? While students may have been told the “Drinking is bad!” spiel on innumerable occasions, at least they have probably been lectured by far wiser and more qualified sources than Karamo, who bragged about being so intoxicated during one episode of “The Real World” that he didn’t remember having his underwear removed by his roommate.

What makes these people “life experts?” The fact they were screwed up enough to meet the rigid requirements for drama-filled lives and aggressive behavior that is the standard “Real World” roomie? That’s not saying much.

Does Kent State truly believe that by bringing these quasi-celebrities to speak to its students that their minds will be engaged and their thoughts provoked? Or does the university simply think that students are just a bunch of drones who would rather hand over their hard-earned money to hear the equivalent of a sugar-saturated mental marshmallow than to listen to a message that really made them think — or was at least something they had not heard before?

Entertainment comes in a variety of forms. It can be thought-provoking, funny or even saddening. Sometimes, it can even be about reminding the audience that there are people going through the same things as they are. Comedians Jerry Seinfeld and Roseanne Arnold are great examples of this sort of entertainment. They took everyday happenings and used them as the basis for their jokes. It worked, and they were both highly successful.

However, Sarah and Karamo are not comedians, and they are not that funny. Since when does entertainment mean idiocy?

Next time ACPB books “entertainment,” hopefully it will be funny or interesting. Anything but mindless.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.