NEWS IN BRIEF

Daily Kent Stater

Third Annual Art Conference begins this weekend

The Third Annual Art Conference will be held this weekend at the Art Building.

The two-day event includes both day and evening programs. Day events include: guest lecturer Steve Hartman, owner of Contessa Gallery in Cleveland, student and faculty presentations, a career planning workshop, student art exhibit and sale, art demonstrations and luncheon. Tomorrow evening’s events include an art exhibit reception with a DJ and refreshments at 6 p.m. in the School of Art Gallery.

“We expect a great turnout,” Rebecca Norris, an art instructor, said. “Last year’s attendance was three times as many as the first year’s conference. We are already getting feedback.”

Some events or presentations will be held in other buildings. Attendees can find out where these sessions are held in the Art Building at the event. For more information contact Norris by phone at (330) 672-1356 or by e-mail at [email protected].

-—Jennifer Zemanek

Chamber music concert to honor women in music

Celebrate Women’s History Month by attending a chamber music concert, “Celebrating Women.” The concert takes place tomorrow at the Ludwig Recital Hall.

“It’s very important to all of us to participate and recognize women’s contributions to music,” said Hilda Pettit, senior secretary at the Women’s Resource Center.

The event begins with a pre-concert panel discussion at 7 p.m., with special guests Florence Dore, assistant English professor and Annie Janeiro Randall, a Bucknell University musicologist.

The concert begins at 8 p.m., honoring women in music with pieces by Katherine Hoover, Ruth Crawford Seeger and Clara Schumann.

Three Kent State faculty members will perform. Diane Fiocca will play the flute, Donna Lee will play piano and Jane Dressler will perform voice.

“I hope people walk away with some insight about the work of these three women composers,” Lee said. “This is a great experience where students and all music lovers can enjoy a variety of music styles.”

Special guests performing are Hanne-Berit Hahnemann on violin and Regina Mushabac on violoncello.

Admission is free. For more information, call The Hugh A. Glauser School of Music at (330) 672-2172.

— Carissa Bowlin

Students group sponsors road rally, dinner and auction

The Kent State student chapter of the Club Managers Association of America is sponsoring a road rally Sunday to raise money to help send club members to the national conference in Honolulu next year.

Registration for the rally begins at 9:30 a.m. in the Michael Schwartz parking lot with the first car leaving at 12:01 p.m. The cost is $30 per car to register the day of the event and $25 for early registration. Kara Krispinsky, CMAA public relations officer, said the road rally is like a scavenger hunt with clues leading through Kent, Akron and Fairlawn. A dinner will be served after the last car reports in.

In addition to the rally, a silent auction with items donated from local supporters will take place. Ten percent of all proceeds will be donated to the Hattie Larlham Foundation, an organization that supports the profoundly disabled.

— Emily Rasinski