Disney to present internship program

Joe McKenzie

Students have the opportunity to learn what the Disney World College Program has to offer in 50-minute presentations today and tomorrow.

The Disney World College Program provides internships to students. During the internship, students will learn communication and customer service skills while working for a Fortune 100 company.

Kent State does not offer internship credit to students who participate in the program. However, Disney does pay the students and offers seven courses that can be taken for college credit. Classes include courses in communication, organizational leadership, human resource management, hospitality and personal marketing. These courses are accredited by the American Council on Education. The program is open to all majors.

Anne Wilson, senior public relations major, interned from January to August 2001. Her job was full-service food and beverage. She is now a casual regular cast member at Disney World. This allows her to go to Disney and work whenever she has time. She tries to go back once a year.

While working for Disney, she took two classes in human resource management.

“It put me in a better place for school. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my major before,” Wilson said. “Students should do it. It is an unmatched experience, and you get skills unmatched by any company but Disney.”

Ami Hollis, assistant director for career employment, suggests students talk to an adviser when choosing what courses to take in order pick one that fits a major.

Students will have the chance after each presentation to ask questions and sign up for telephone interviews if they are still interested. A recruiter based in Orlando will call each student and conduct the interviews. The interviewer and presenter will exchange notes on how things went to decide who gets accepted.

Aaron Marando, junior psychology major, interned in fall 2004. He worked as a park clearer at Epcot. It was a great learning experience and provided a lot of opportunities to network, he said.

“The program gives you an opportunity to meet a lot of managers,” Marando said. “To learn how they do things was awesome.”

Students should be aware of money management problems, Marando said. Some students find themselves on their own for the first time and need to budget themselves.

Students live in company-sponsored apartment communities with 24-hour security. Free transportation to and from work is also provided.

Weekly newsletters are sent to alumni of the program. Opportunities to continue a career with Disney are also available.

Students who intern a second semester are offered an advanced internship. This gives them a chance to make the transition from customer service into an office setting.

Today’s presentation will be held at 6 p.m. in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Tomorrow’s will take place at noon in room 306 of the Student Center.

Interested students must attend at least one presentation and bring the online application found at disneycollegeprogram.com.

Contact career services and alumni affairs reporter Joe McKenzie at [email protected].