Campus gallery opens student exhibition

Jennifer Zemanek

Cory Schofield, senior fine arts major, looks over the works displayed in the Art Building. The displays will be shown until Feb. 18.

Credit: Andrew popik

A variety of people turned out at the School of Art gallery yesterday to view an assortment of artwork, ranging from jewelry to weavings to a boat made from newspaper and wax.

The School of Art held its opening of the Student Annual Exhibition last night in the School of Art Gallery in the Art Building.

People filled the gallery to view the exhibit which included works by 25 undergraduate and graduate students.

Fred Smith, director of the gallery, said the turnout was bigger than he anticipated. Many students came to show their support for their fellow classmates and a chance to interact with the artists.

Two students, one undergraduate and one graduate, received the honor of “Best in the Show.”

Senior Clarice Fernandes was one of the recipients of the award. Her work, which was called “Untitled,” was shaped like a boat made from newspaper and wax.

“The piece is about my nationality,” Fernandes said.

Fernandes, who is a fine arts major, said the newspaper used for the boat is from Brazil. The boat represents the childhood of a Brazilian child.

Graduate student Kortney Niewierski was the other recipient of “Best in the Show.” Niewierski’s work was also called “Untitled” (Wallpaper), a piece made with pencil drawings and a scattered placement of waxed flowers from vellum, pencil and beeswax.

“That piece took about three to four weeks,” Niewierski said. “It was inspired from the work I was doing last semester with pillows, beds and flowers.”

Smith said Gretchen Goss, head of the Enameling Department at the Cleveland Institute of Art, juried the exhibition. Smith said Goss judged the works on quality and the innovativeness of the work.

Corey Ackelmire, Megan Amendt and Robin Haller received honorable mentions for their work at the show.

With the many onlookers at the gallery, people had different opinions on the work.

Jo Nelson’s “1950 E. 91st Street,” a house with a metal structure placed inside, was a favorite.

The scale of the piece is very good, as is the detail of the metal work, said Lisa Waterfield, junior art education major.

Smith said the exhibition will be displayed until Feb. 18. The School of Art Gallery is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, contact the gallery at (330) 672-7853.

Contact Fine of Professional Arts reporter Jennifer Zemanek at [email protected].