Cultures to mingle during Global Awareness Week

Ana Mihajlovic

A week-long celebration of global education and multicultural awareness begins today with the annual Global Awareness Week.

Global Awareness Week is an entire week dedicated to the promotion of diversity on campus as well as in the community.

Various clubs, organizations and departments are collaborating to provide an array of events that reflect many ethnicities and cultures of the campus community.

Some of the activities will include a study abroad fair, an international film event, panel discussions and presentations on Kent State’s collaborations in England, Switzerland, Ireland and Italy.

All students are encouraged to participate in these events.

One highlight will include the Tsunami Relief Concert where Ustad Nishat Khan and Shri Abhiman Kaushal, internationally renowned Indian instrumentalists, will perform at 8 p.m. tomorrow in Ludwig Recital Hall in the Music and Speech Building. Tickets and more information can be obtained at Kent Chamber offices, the School of Music or at the door by calling Bill Anderson at (330) 562-5836.

Dr. Ian Harris, co-founder of the International Peace Research Association, will give a lecture “Peace Studies in the Time of Terror” at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Kiva. Reception and book signing will follow the lecture.

“Global Awareness Week is part of the university’s effort to internationalize the curriculum,” said Ken Cushner, executive director of International Affairs. “These events will provide students and faculty with a special opportunity to learn more about life in developing countries and find out how they can become global citizens.”

In the past, students from all over the world have participated in various multicultural events, using them as a forum to discuss their cultures and backgrounds, Cushner said.

The university continues to stress the importance of internationalism and diversity through various additional initiatives.

“Expansion of study abroad programs and overseas student teaching are just a few examples of the ways we are strengthening international studies in the curriculum,” Cushner said. “Global Awareness Week creates an intellectually stimulating environment by giving students and faculty a chance to expand their minds by immersing themselves, even if for just a week, in another person’s experience.”

Contact international affairs and non-traditional students reporter Ana Mihajlovic at [email protected].