High school: four years well spent

Allison Remecheck

Kent State students say their high schools prepared them for college

Many Kent State students feel it was worth paying attention in high school because it prepared them for college, regardless of whether they attended public or private school.

Credit: Allison Remecheck

It was four years of tedious work every night, clubs in the afternoon and speeches that involved a detail-orientated visual aid.

It was four years of teachers talking about, “When you get to college, you’ll need to know–,” and “When you get to college, your papers will have to be lots of pages long.” And of course, the ever-present threat, “If you don’t pay attention in class, read along with the book and site your research paper with MLA format, you’ll have problems in college.”

It must have been worth paying attention in class because many Kent State students feel their high schools prepared them for college, regardless of whether it was private or public.

Naomi Fortis, freshman fashion design student, said her high school “most definitely” prepared her for college.

“We had excellent teachers and professors,” she said. “They were involved with the students.”

Fortis, who attended a public high school in Columbus, said her honors workload prepared her for college –— maybe a little too much.

Fortis said she feels like she is back in the eighth grade during her English class.

“I don’t want to be regressed to a different level of my education.”

And she said she feels she’s not the only one who’s getting off a bit too easy.

“I’ve had discussions with other people who have felt the same way.”

However, Fortis said things are different in her major because things are competitive.

“I really like the course curriculum in fashion,” she said.

Smaller class sizes and close relationships with teachers at Allison Giersz’s private high school in Garfield Heights prepared her for college in a way a public school would not have.

“People went to class — they weren’t screwing around — because they knew they were going to college,” said Giersz, sophomore fashion design major.

Longer block-scheduled classes and stiff class criteria made high school feel more like a college, she said.

The social atmosphere was also different from a public school, Giersz said. Even though there were cliques, students still got along with everyone.

“I never saw a fight in the four years I was there,” she said.

Giersz said after listening to her friends who attended public schools talk about the lack of focus of public school students, she is glad she chose a private school.

When looking for colleges, Giersz said public schools matched her personality better, and she prefers college to high school.

“It’s definitely a little easier than high school,” she said. “The classes are more fun than high school.”

Sarah Matyas, junior business management major, also said she was prepared for college.

“I would have to say, yeah. I think (high school) did. I don’t think it’s that much of a difference,” Matyas said.

Matyas said her public school in Parma helped her choose her college and major.

“I know my high school helped us on scholarships and they basically helped you with the admission into college,” she said.

Matyas said her high school didn’t have enough honors classes to choose from, but her regular high school courses were enough preparation for college.

On the other hand, Nick Hanna, graduate translation student, said he was “definitely not” prepared for college.

Hanna said after attending his public school in Cuyahoga Falls, “I just went to college because that’s basically what you do after high school.”

He said neither his study nor his social skills were ready for college.

Hannah said he thinks it’s normal for students to not be prepared for college.

“You learn as you go,” he said.

Contact features reporter Allison Remcheck at [email protected].