Letter to the Editor

White students offended by stereotypes as well

Dear Editor:

The Forum section of the Stater is always my favorite, but the one viewpoint I have grown tired of belongs to Teddy Harris. It seems like there is never any counterpoint to his articles.

Mr. Harris, while your columns can get repetitive, they do have their valid points. However, the column titled “Blacks do not separate from whites,” was uncalled for and vaguely offensive.

You claim to want equality between blacks and whites, but your writing inspires the opposite. Your article is counter-racism and alienates your white readers. Not all white people are out to get you or your race. Many white people wish that everyone would look beyond skin color when judging the merit of a person.

The insinuations in your article such as, “Let it be known that black students do not separate themselves from white students. White students separate from blacks,” and, “It seems as though the larger white society has an inherent fear of organized black people in this country. This is why white people have a problem with black students sitting with each other in the cafeteria. It is the fear of ‘organizing blacks,’” not only come off as a bit paranoid but also pretty bigoted. White people dislike being stereotyped just as much as black people, and I was somewhat offended (and it takes a lot to offend me).

Black history is purposefully not taught? Africa is expelled from history books? I think I learned more about black history than any other American culture. World history classes have whole sections on African history and culture. There are specified courses completely on African studies and culture in college.

I’m not saying that inclusion into history books makes up for slavery or racial injustices, but I am saying that you are making way too many false accusations and generalizations in your column. If I were to start a Caucasian United Students, would you want to attend our meetings? If I were to start a group like that or write an column like yours, I would most likely be openly labeled a racist.

I understand why groups for minorities continue to be important, but you have to admit that having a group called Black United Students doesn’t exactly scream unity for all. It is not always whites doing the self segregation. What about organizations like the Undergraduate Student Senate or Anti-Racist Action, that work to promote harmony between all students? If this situation is ever going to get better, then both sides need to work toward unity instead of just mudslinging or vilifying. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Laura Siska

Junior biology and psychology major