LGBTQ+ Center to host sixth annual Rainbow Run Friday

KentWired files

The annual Rainbow Run will begin October 13th at 7 p.m. at the Risman Plaza.

Serena Shortridge

The Rainbow Run 5K is set to take place this Friday at 7 p.m. in Risman Plaza. All event proceeds go toward the LGBTQ Emergency Fund. 

Participation is $20 for students and $25 for non-students. Participants can register online or at the plaza the day of. 

Virtual event participation is also available. Examples of how to go about virtually completing the run include using the pre-marked course around campus, a route within a neighborhood or on a treadmill. Participating virtually is also $20.  

During the race, people are encouraged to participate in the “Best Rainbow Attire” and “Best Rainbow Pet” contests. This is done by posting pictures on social media under the hashtag #KSURainbowRun. 

“Bring your dogs, walk, roller skate or bike. Most people are not runners or doing this competitively. It’s all about fun and inclusivity,” Ken Ditlevson, director of the LGBTQ+ Student Center said. 

33 LGBTQ Students facing housing crises, displacements and more were helped by the Emergency Fund last semester. This event plays a huge part in replenishing these funds. 

“Nearly $50,000 has been raised through this fundraiser,” Ditlevson said. “It gives students a unique chance to rally together in support of those who have faced adversity.”

Serena Shortridge covers diversity. Contact her at [email protected].