Student in critical condition after ‘unprovoked assault’

Doug Gulasy

A Kent State student is listed in critical condition at Akron City Hospital’s intensive care unit after being seriously injured in an off-campus assault early Sunday morning.

Business student Christopher M. Kernich, 23, was assaulted early Sunday at the 200 block of East Main Street in downtown Kent.

Kent City Police responded to reports of an assault at about 2 a.m. Sunday. The responding officers found Kernich unconscious, “lying on the tree lawn on the north side of Main St. suffering from head injuries,” according to a Police Department press release.

The release said the incident began when three suspects were in a car, pulling out of a parking lot at the intersection of East Main and Depeyster streets. The car nearly struck Kernich and several other men.

The three suspects drove east on Main Street and pulled into a driveway to wait for the group. The suspects then assaulted three of the men, including Kernich.

“The unprovoked assault resulted in serious injuries to one of the victims,” the press release said.

Ronald G. Kelly, 20, and Adrian A. Barker, 21, of Akron have been arrested in connection with the incident. They were charged with felonious assault, a second-degree felony.

Greg Jarvie, interim vice president for enrollment management and student affairs and dean of students, said the university is aware of the incident and added, “Everybody’s thoughts should be with” Kernich.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family,” Jarvie said.

Kent City Police ask that anyone with information about the assault contact the detective bureau at (330) 673-7732.

Check KentNewsNet.com for more updates on this story.

Contact public affairs reporter Doug Gulasy at [email protected].