Service for Cameron Hopkin to be held Friday

Cam Hopkin Obituary Photo

Cam Hopkin Obituary Photo

Holly Liptak Reporter

A service will be held for Kent State student Cameron Hopkin Friday in his home state of Pennsylvania. He died unexpectedly Sunday.

Cameron was welcomed into Phi Delta Theta about two weeks ago. His fraternity brothers are planning events in Cameron’s honor.

The Honors College will also plan to put on events to celebrate Cameron’s life, in addition to an informal memorial held Monday. Currently, the college’s focus is on grief counseling for the students, said Dean of the Honors College Alison Smith.

Cameron will always be remembered as a light in the lives of others; someone who was always looking for ways to help those around him, Smith said.

“We have lost a really wonderful friend and a really wonderful student. I think he is always going to be remembered here,” she said. “His true standout was the way he was always looking for ways to help others, that was his hallmark.”

In high school, Cameron was involved in many extracurriculars, including the football team, the wrestling team, the National Honors Society and other organizations. In college, he tutored students in chemistry and volunteered frequently with the Honors Leadership Academy on service trips.

He brought a light and energy to the room he was in and the groups he was affiliated with, said Lamar Hylton, the vice president of Student Affairs.

“There is nothing we will be able to say to fill the hole in our hearts and in our community,” Hylton said. “We would do ourselves a disservice not to continually lift up the goodness as we reflect on his life.”

Friends are welcome for calling hours on Feb. 6 from 2-4 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. and Feb. 7 from 10 a.m.-noon at the Gilbert Funeral Home and Crematory Inc., 1638 Lincoln Way, White Oak, Pennsylvania. Service will be held in the funeral home chapel Friday at noon.

Holly Liptak is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]