Campus to close Thursday in anticipation of winter storm Landon

Matthew Brown

Days after the first snow fall in Kent, Ohio, the hill leading from Taylor Hall to Stopher & Johnson Hall is still difficult to walk on Monday, Jan. 24, 2022.

Owen MacMillan Digital Content Manager

Kent State University will be closed tomorrow in anticipation of winter storm Landon, which will arrive in the area late this evening or early Thursday morning.

The cancellation was “due to the severe weather forecasted in our areas,” according to a university email.

All in-person classes have been canceled, but professors may choose to hold synchronous online class sessions in their place. Classes that are already online-only will be unaffected.

The closure applies to the main campus as well as all of Kent State’s regional campuses.

All Kent State offices will be closed, while dining halls and help desks will follow their usual hours.

The Student Center and Beverly J. Warren Student Recreation and Wellness Center will remain open with adjusted hours, with both opening at 10 a.m. 

The university email informed students to check the pages of the library and DeWeese Health Center for potential adjusted hours.

Normal university operations are set to resume at 6 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 4.

At 2:27 p.m. today the National Weather Service declared a winter storm warning for every county in Ohio due to winter storm Landon.

Landon is expected to drop between six inches and a foot of snow on the Kent area by the early morning of Friday.

This is the second time this semester that the university has closed campus due to severe weather, with the first being the first scheduled day of classes on Jan. 18.

Owen MacMillan is a digital content manager. Contact him at [email protected]