Lacrosse team wins second in a row in overtime thriller

Sophomore+midfielder+Abby+Jones+%5B27%5D+fights+for+the+ball+during+the+women%E2%80%99s+lacrosse+game+on+Mar.+8%2C+2020.+Kent+State+University+lost+to+University+of+Cincinnati+25-8.+

Savannah Monks

Sophomore midfielder Abby Jones [27] fights for the ball during the women’s lacrosse game on Mar. 8, 2020. Kent State University lost to University of Cincinnati 25-8.

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

Two minutes into its second overtime, Kent State’s lacrosse team had the ball behind the Wofford goal, looking for a player with an angle to the net.

Sophomore attacker Jackie Wolford passed the ball from just left of the net to senior attacker Megan Kozar, who was standing 40 feet in front of the goal.

Kozar charged toward the goal, faking out a Wofford defender, and then fired the ball over the goalie’s left shoulder into the back of the net for an 11-10 victory on Wofford’s home field in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

The 11-10 win came in the first overtime game in the team’s four-year history.

“We were just trying to move the ball around and see who had the best opportunity to score,” Kozar said. “I knew if I could get past her, I’d be able to get off a good shot.”

KSU improves to 2-3 after losing its first three games. It is just the second time the team has won two consecutive games in school history. The Flashes had beaten Presbyterian 15-12 on Friday. Wofford falls to 1-2.

The Flashes jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first 2:32.

But as it had in losses to Butler and Akron, Kent State faltered in the second and third quarters. The Flashes didn’t score in the third period and trailed 9-6 going into the fourth.

Kozar scored with 13:58 in the fourth quarter on a free-position shot. Minutes later, junior attacker Kenzie Sklar scored, making it 9-8.

After Wofford scored, KSU was down two goals with 8:44 to go.

Four minutes later, Sklar scored to cut the deficit back to one.

With 2:04 left in the game, senior attacker Kelli Bailey took a pass from senior midfielder Abby Jones, pump-faked, and scored over the top of a defender and the goalie, tying the game.

Kent State forced a turnover with 14 seconds, sending the game into overtime.

“We made great stops all game, but when we need one the most, they were able to get one,” coach Brianne Tierney said.

The Flashes dominated both overtimes, only allowing Wofford to possess the ball for 32 seconds.

Kozar ended the game with four goals. Sklar ended with three.

KSU had 29 shots, with 20 on goal; Wofford had 33 shots, with 21 on goal.

“I’m very happy for our team,” Tierney said. “The way they battled back after that third quarter was impressive, and I hope we can carry this momentum into our next game.”

The Flashes (0-1 Mid-American Conference) return to MAC play at 4 p.m. Wednesday at Dix Stadium, when they take on the league’s preseason favorite, Robert Morris (1-3 overall, 1-0 MAC).

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].