Lacrosse defeats Detroit Mercy 16-11 for its first home and conference win of the season

Members of the Kent State University women’s lacrosse team celebrate a point during their game on Mar. 8, 2020 against University of Cincinnati. Kent State University lost 8-25.

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

During its three wins this season, the Kent State lacrosse team has outscored its opponents 22-12 in the first half.

The Flashes led 10-4 at halftime in route to their first Mid-American Conference win, defeating Detroit Mercy Saturday 16-11.

KSU improves to 4-8 and 1-4 in the MAC. The Titans fall to 1-8 and 1-4 in the league. The Flashes and Titans are tied for fourth in the conference with Akron.

Coach Brianne Tierney was pleased to see the team stick to the game plan.

“We saw we could take advantage of their aggressiveness,” she said. “Getting the ball, having long possessions was important. Then, attack on one side and make clean passes back inside for an open shot.”

Tierney told the team the road to the MAC tournament starts today.

“We have a whole week to prepare for these games, and we have to use this time successfully,” she said. “I think getting a win today will get me some buy-in from them on that and the plan for the week.”

“We will continue with that plan and push forward and look at the MAC tournament.”

Kent State allowed the game’s opening goal but responded with five consecutive goals.

The Flashes scored another five goals and led 10-4 at halftime behind three goals by sophomore attacker Jackie Wolford, who also did most of the draws in the first half.

“Jackie had an amazing day,” Tierney said. “That’s a credit to winning the draw; she was able to force them to make a change” (with Detroit’s own approach to the draw).

“That’s an area we focused on this week – finding out what we do well and stick to that plan rather than adjusting to our opponents. We want to make them adjust to us.”

The Flashes outscored the Titans 5-2 in the third quarter.

After striking first in the final quarter, KSU held its first double-digit lead of the season at 16-6, though Detroit closed the gap with five late goals.

“Ever since the Youngstown game when we scored 20 goals, it has given us a lot of confidence offensively over our last three games,” Tierney said. “Everyone is pushing each other and taking advantage of every opportunity.”

Wolford and junior attacker Kenzie Sklar scored four goals; senior attacker Megan Kozar added three more. Junior attacker Morgan Kubicki had three assists and a goal.

Wolford has scored three or more goals in seven games this season.

The Flashes had 36 shots, with 19 on goal. The Titans had 27 shots, with 19 on goal.

Kent State (1-4 MAC) will face Akron (1-4) at 1 p.m. Saturday at Dix Stadium. The Zips beat the Flashes 11-6 on Feb. 23.

“After the last game at Akron, we know what to expect,” Tierney said. “We’re playing more confidently now, and I’m looking forward to another game against them.”

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].