Lacrosse team plays well on Senior Day but falls to Central Michigan 14-10

Senior+members+of+the+Kent+State+lacrosse+team+pose+with+their+framed+jerseys.+

Ian Runninger

Senior members of the Kent State lacrosse team pose with their framed jerseys.

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

Back on March 10, the Kent State women’s lacrosse team fell behind Central Michigan 9-1 in the first quarter before losing 20-6.

On Saturday, the Flashes played far better, leading 3-1 after the first quarter but still fell 14-10 to the second-place Chippewas. In the four-year history of the KSU program, the team has never beaten CMU.

The Flashes fall to 5-10 overall and 2-6 in the Mid-American Conference. Central Michigan improves to 8-6 and 6-1 in the league.

“It was our senior day, so I knew the team would have more energy than normal,” coach Brianne Tierney said. “We controlled the first quarter by having long possessions and making [CMU] work hard on offense.”

Tierney said Central Michigan is tough to defend.

“They can draw attention to one side of the field very well,” she said, “then attack you from the other side.”

The score was tied 6-6 at halftime and 8-8 with eight minutes to go in the third quarter. Two minutes later, Central scored three goals in a minute and half to gain control of the game.

“We felt good until we allowed those three consecutive goals late in the third,” Tierney said. “They built a lead and that allowed them to play a little more aggressively.”

CMU’s defense forced six turnovers during the fourth quarter, thwarting any chance of a KSU comeback.

The coach decided to have all of the seniors start the game for their final home game of the season, which was Senior Day.

“They deserved that for everything they’ve given to this program,” Tierney said.

The seniors are KSU’s first class of freshmen to graduate.

“We’ve all shared so many good memories,” Tierney said. “One that sticks out the most was in 2020 when our season came to an end (because of COVID-19), and all of us stood on the field with our arms around each other and reassured one another that it would be okay.”

Senior midfielder Abby Jones led Kent State with four goals and an assist. Senior attacker Megan Kozar and sophomore attacker Jackie Wolford added two goals each.

Wolford’s 37 goals lead the team and are one away from tying Jones’s record for goals in a season.

The Flashes still hold onto fourth place, which would earn them the last spot in the four-team MAC tournament.

On Saturday, the Flashes play Youngstown State, which clinched a spot in the tournament on Saturday. If KSU wins, it would almost guarantee them a spot in the tournament.

“I hope our defense from the game today shows up against them [YSU],” Tierney said. “They’re fast and athletic, so we have to slow them down.”

KSU will take on the Penguins Saturday in Youngstown. YSU beat Kent State 21-20 on March 17.

KSU’s final game is at Detroit Mercy on April 30. Detroit is tied with Akron for fifth place and lost to Kent State 16-11.

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].