How to approach voter registration and Election Day

The three flags in the center of campus wave as a reminder of patriotism.

Madisyn Woodring Reporter

Even though voter turnout in the 2018 election for ages 18 to 29 increased to 36 percent it was still lower than all other age groups that year, according to Census data.

According to political science professor Christopher Banks, young people have a large incentive to vote.

“Direct impacts by the political policies of those in power make a real difference to those who are younger as opposed to older,” Banks said. “I think they have more stake in it.”

The first step in making sure your voice is heard is through voter registration.

Online registration is available through the Ohio Secretary of State’s website. Physical forms are also available at local BMVs and at the Ask Me Desk on the first floor of the Kent State library.

The deadline to register for the primary is Feb. 18; Election Day is March 17.

Students who are registered in a county other than Portage but live on campus have two voting options: casting an absentee ballot and voting early in person.

Ohioans can print out an absentee ballot form and mail a completed version to the county’s board of elections where they are registered, said Faith Lyon, director of the Portage County Board of Elections. Out-of-state students should check their states’ procedures regarding voting and absentee ballots.

As an alternative, Lyon said students who visit their hometowns starting Feb. 19 through Election Day can vote in-person at their boards of elections. 

When it comes to the future of the country, every vote counts.

“They’re the future of democracy,” Banks said. “They’re the ones who are going to be affected the most for all of this period of time.”

Madisyn Woodring is a politics reporter. Contact her at [email protected]