Kent State partners with Akron School of Law to offer combined degree program

Jenna Bal, Campus Editor

Kent State is partnering with University of Akron’s School of Law to offer a six-year program in which students get a bachelor’s degree from Kent State and a Juris Doctor degree from Akron Law.

The partnership allows students to finish both degrees in six years instead of seven. This is known as a 3+3 degree program.

“Year in, year out, the law school enrolls more incoming students from Kent State than any other school besides the University of Akron, so we believe there will be a lot of interest in this new program,” said Emily Janoski-Haehlen, dean of the Akron School of Law, in the press release. 

Students can apply for the program when initially applying to Kent State or while enrolled at Kent State in one of 11 major programs. This is the second partnership Kent has made with other universities, the first being Cleveland State University’s Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.

In order to be accepted, students must complete three years of their bachelor’s degree, remain in good academic and financial standing, and meet Akron Law’s character and fitness standards, grade point average minimum and LSAT minimum score. 

“Kent State is thrilled to offer this opportunity for our students, which allows them to gain such an amazing educational experience through Kent State and the University of Akron School of Law while also saving time and money,” said Melody Tankersley, senior vice president and provost of Kent State. “Our students will be able to transition seamlessly to receive both their undergraduate and law degrees in six years instead of seven.”

Jenna Bal is a campus editor. Contact her at [email protected].