Kent State wins 10th consecutive award for commitment to diversity

Ty Kohler, Campus Editor

For the 10th consecutive year, Kent State is a recipient of the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award (HEED), according to an email sent by the university Monday.

The award is given to colleges and universities who have shown a commitment to diversity and inclusion by INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Applying for the award includes an application that asks about recruitment, student and employee retention, leadership support for diversity, campus culture and climate, supplier diversity and many other aspects of campus diversity and inclusion.

“It is a great honor to be recognized for the 10th time by INSIGHT Into Diversity with the HEED Award,” said Amoaba Gooden, Kent State’s vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion, in the email. “This award recognizes the university’s deep commitment to an inclusive environment for learning, working and living. I thank our students, faculty and staff for their dedication to making Kent State a diverse and inclusive community.” 

Despite winning the award, Kent State said it plans to recommit to diversity. The university has developed a new diversity plan which will include diversity-based town halls, professional development opportunities and scholarships, among other campus initiatives, according to the email.

Kent State will be featured in the November 2022 issue of INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine, along with the other 102 HEED Award winners.

Ty Kohler is a campus editor. Contact him at [email protected].