Parkland survivor to hold virtual discussion Oct. 25

Alton Northup, Staff Reporter

Eric Garner, a broadcast journalism teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, will host a discussion titled Parkland in Perspective: Mass Shootings, Media and Activism in the May 4 Visitors Center Reflections Gallery on Tuesday, Oct. 25. 

Garner, who will attend virtually, will discuss the timeline of the school shooting where he spent over an hour shielding more than 50 students and the 17 related deaths. The shooting is the deadliest high school shooting in United States history.

Other topics will include the media response to Parkland, what happens when the reporter becomes the story, student media coverage and activism. As it is an open conversation those in attendance can expect to shape the discussion. 

I think Mr. Garner’s message is relevant not only because gun violence remains horrifyingly impactful to American society, but also because he will talk about how the news media, social media and advocacy movements shape our understanding of these events and our responses to these events,” said Stephanie Smith, a professor in the School of Media and Journalism. 

Smith said that the evening will provide those in attendance with “a fuller sense of what happened that day and what is happening in its continuing aftermath –  and, especially – why the aftermath really matters.”

The discussion starts at 5:30 p.m. in the May 4 Visitors Center Reflections Gallery and is sponsored by The School of Communication Studies, the Media Advocacy Minor and the May 4th Visitors Center.

Alton Northup is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].