Flashes hockey swept in weekend series

The Kent State Division I hockey team struggled to finish off both games in overtime during its weekend series against Robert Morris. 

Coach Jim Underwood said that even though the team did not get the results they wanted, he was pleased the team played two full 60 minute hockey games.

The Flashes lost in a shootout 3-2 Friday night.

Jacob Friedman took a five minute major penalty early in the game allowing Robert Morris to score on the powerplay. 

Kent State was up 2-1 heading into the third period. Nathaniel Schwartz and Jason Smith scored for the Flashes.

Taking a penalty late in the game, led to the game tying goal with just under five minutes left in the game. 

Coach Underwood said taking two bad penalties were very costly and allowed Robert Morris to score two powerplay goals. 

Robert Morris scored first in the shootout and Kent was unable to tie.

“I was really pleased with how our guys competed for a full 60 minutes,” Underwood said. “This was the first time I felt as an entire team that we worked hard and competed from start to finish. We really played to the level that I thought we were capable of, so it’s unfortunate to end up in the loss column.”

The Flashes lost 3-2 in overtime Saturday night.

The Flashes were leading 2-1 heading into the third period with goals scored by Rubin Chavarria and Justin Bioni.

Bioni took a five minute major penalty with a few minutes left in the game that allowed Robert Morris to tie the game and force overtime. 

“The five minute major is an uncalled penalty and it put us in a really tough situation,” Underwood said.”The guys that were out there killing that penalty responded phenomenally.“

The Flashes gave up a rush in overtime that led Robert Morris to score the game winning goal.

Underwood said that if the team is willing to continue competing at this level and working hard it is going to result in situations where they end up on top. 

Contact Dana O’Black at [email protected]