CAPS introduces new Flexible Care Model

Alton Northup, Reporter

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) continues to roll out its Flexible Care Model as the department works to make mental health care as accessible as possible on campus.

With the new model the university has not only decreased wait time for students seeking treatment but eliminated the need for a waitlist altogether, said John Schell, the associate director of CAPS.

John Schell, associate director at Counseling and Psychological Services at Kent State. (Courtesy of Kent State University)

When a student first reaches out to CAPS, they are invited to a free consultation with a university clinician to discuss their concerns and what treatments may work best for them. From there, a personalized care plan is developed that includes services and resources available on and off campus.

“The Flexible Care Model is our effort to really try to diversify the services we offer beyond individual counseling, which had always been our traditional modality of treatment, to rethinking what other services would benefit students,” Schell said. “We realize that individual counseling isn’t the only approach and isn’t always even the best approach for every student.”

Students often come to CAPS with concerns over anxiety, depression and adjustment to college life. Many of these issues could be addressed through workshops, self-care routines and mindfulness, according to Jennifer Knott, outreach coordinator for CAPS.

Nine virtual workshops are planned for the spring semester and range in focus from anxiety and sleep issues to stress and effective communication. Each workshop offered by CAPS is a part of its covered services, along with six sessions of individual therapy, and all students are encouraged to attend if interested.

“Even if you’re not dealing with something right now,” Schell said. “Learning some resiliency or learning some anxiety and stress management strategies help you not only for today, but also for the future.”

Students can schedule a consultation with a CAPS clinician by calling (330) 672-2487. After-hours support and crisis intervention are available through the same number.

Alton Northup is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].