Students relive prom at FAB’s enchanted garden formal

Emma Van Winkle

Kent State students in a conga line during the Enchanted formal hosted by FAB on February 11, 2023

Adriana Gasiewski, Reporter

Sophomore Olivia Cook and junior Rachel Berry enter the middle of the dance circle taking turns spinning and dipping each other, savoring being in the center for a short but meaningful moment.

The Flash Activities Board hosted a winter formal Saturday in the student center ballroom. The event attracted 700 students from across campus.

Cook took the dance floor by storm. Like many other students, Cook had her prom canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It’s like makeup prom,” she said. “I would say it’s okay, I just wish there was more Beyoncé.”

FAB event planner junior Ariyanna Robb said she wanted to offer everyone the opportunity to attend a dance. In the past, students who are not a part of organizations such as fraternities and sororities may not experience a dance during their college years.

In addition to offering a night full of fun, Robb explained another motivation for having a winter formal.

“One of our main factors was because of COVID. Especially because since I’m also class of 2020 senior, so we got that ripped away from us,” she said. “You might have already bought your dress and you weren’t able to wear it and that different stuff so now you are able to put it to use which is nice.”

Kent State students doing the Cha-Cha slide at the enchanted formal hosted by FAB on February 11, 2023. (Emma Van Winkle )

While FAB’s winter formal offered an opportunity for students to relive their prom experiences, the dance also differed in many ways from regular high school dances.

“Everyone actually wants to be here which is very very nice,” senior Maggie Harlin said.

Attendees began to form a circle in the middle of the dance floor and cheered on those brave enough to show off their signature moves. Cook and Berry made their way to the center.

Senior Brittany Davis said people were enjoying themselves more than at her high school dances.

“It seems like everyone is out more dancing than at my high school,” she said.

The dance also included vegan food options, handicap accessibility and photo booths for snapping pictures. A few unconventional guests also attended such as Paws for a Cause service dog in training Surf.

Aside from winter formal allowing students to attend a dance in college, for other students such as freshman Paige Jochims, winter formal was a nice distraction from homework and studying.

“It is a good break,” she said. “I have a paper to write when I get back but it’s fine. It’s great!”

Adriana Gasiewski is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].