Women’s lacrosse picks up first win of the year against Duquesne

Matthew Franos, Reporter

Kenzie Sklar for Kent State’s women’s lacrosse scored six goals in a 16-15 overtime win over Duquesne.

“We have been waiting for her to have a day like that,” coach Brianna Tierney said. “She’s been playing like that everyday at practice for years”. 

Sklar had scored six goals with eight shots on goal. She added an assist and had 12 shots. 

The Flashes were down 12-8 with 1:27 left in the third quarter. 

“We went down four and we didn’t give up,” Tierney said. “They believe in the future, if it happens again we can come back again”. 

Sklar, a senior attack, helped the Flashes gain a 5-4 advantage over the Dukes with four goals in the first quarter. Sophomore attack Allie Lee also scored for the Flashes. 

Duquesne responded in the second quarter with two straight goals to take a 6-5 lead. 

The Flashes quickly answered back as sophomore midfielder Sidney Dering scored two goals to take back the lead 7-6. 

Freshman midfielder Peyton Gellin added a goal at the end of the quarter to extend the KSU lead 8-6 at halftime.

The Dukes jumped out in front after halftime, scoring six straight goals to start the third quarter. Duquesne led 12-8.

With under a minute to go in the third quarter, Lee scored again, making it 12-9. Then junior attack Jackie Wolford scored to cut the deficit to 12-10 with one quarter left. 

The fourth quarter went back and forth between the two programs as neither team could seem to separate. 

Sklar and Wolford each scored two goals in the quarter and freshman midfielder Zayda Crumpton scored once.

“Our defense did a great job on the other end,” Tierney said. “We took advantage and just smart play on the other end”. 

Sklar scored the game-tying goal with 1:02 remaining to tie the game at fifteen and send the game into overtime. 

The overtime period was filled with defense, but Wolford was able to score with an assist from Sklar to win the game for Kent State.

Kent State took 36 shots compared to Duquesne’s 34. The Flashes were able to win while losing the turnover battle 22-15.

“Building that confidence, getting this win under our belts,” Tierney said. “It’s huge for their future careers and our program”. 

Kent State  (1-1) will travel to Butler. Game time is Saturday 1 p.m. in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]