KIC celebrates Black History Month with Afrobeat karaoke

Anthony Scilla

DC Moore at the Rathskeller for Afrobeats Karaoke on Feb. 24, 2023.

Jillian Schrift, Reporter

The rhythmic beat of percussion and vocals echoed from the Rathskeller as about a dozen students gathered to sing and dance to karaoke Friday evening.

Afrobeat, a distinct sound that blends traditional Yoruba music with funk, jazz and West African rhythms, could be heard from every corner of the room. Afrobeat is known for its chanted vocals, complex intersecting rhythms and percussion.

In celebration of Black History Month, Kent Interhall Council (KIC) decided on this genre of karaoke to create more awareness about Afrobeat throughout Kent State.

“I think it’s always important to mix education with things that people enjoy,” said Yewande Odunaiya-Moore, the advisor of KIC. “If we really want to impart knowledge on others, we have to meet halfway sometimes. It’s important to engage students in a way they like to be engaged.”

The history of Afrobeat goes back to the 1960s and 1970s. It was created by Fela Kuti, a Nigerian musician and activist, and Tony Allen, the drummer and musical director of Kuti’s band. Political lyrics also tend to be essential to Afrobeat since Kuti had used social criticism to pave the way for social change.

Some of the current well-known Afrobeat artists include Burna Boy, Tems, Davido, Wizkid and D’banj.

KIC tries to incorporate ideas of what students would enjoy and what would motivate them to come out to their events, and a number of students agreed those goals worked with karaoke.

Sophomore Wani Hamuli enjoys a karaoke night in the Rathskeller Feb. 24, 2023. (Anthony Scilla)

“I’m new here, and I’m from Africa,” said Wani Hamuli, a sophomore international student majoring in fashion design. “I just wanted to have a little reminder from home.”

Hamuli came to karaoke hoping to meet some other people there and enjoy the sound of the music, just like Aaron Johnson, a freshman photography major.

“I love the Afrobeat genre because they have a really good style of what they do and how they sing,” Johnson said.

Johnson added he was having a lot of fun and ended up singing multiple songs during the evening.

The love for the sound of Afrobeat is a constant theme with each student.

“I’m Nigerian, and Afrobeat was something I grew up with,” said Jachi Peter, a freshman nursing major. “It’s really fun to listen to, and it has a lot of vibe in it. I felt like I could join other people and have this great experience tonight.”

Jillian Schrift is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].