Student fashion show raises money for individuals with Down syndrome

Sage Mason, Reporter

Dress Up for Downs is promoting inclusivity in the fashion industry through its partnership with the Down Syndrome Association of Northeastern Ohio (DSANEO).

Through programming such as the annual Dress Up for Downs Fashion Show, the student organization builds connections with Northeast Ohio residents with Down syndrome and raises money to support DSANEO.

The Dress Up for Downs Fashion Show took place Saturday, March 4 this year.

Members planned the show throughout September by designing outfits, having fittings and working behind the scenes to make the event run smoothly. They partnered with JoAnn Fabrics to help supply materials for the show.

This year’s fashion show was themed “A Night in Candyland” and consisted of 15 models with Down syndrome with ages ranging from 4 to 42. Each model worked one-on-one with student designers in the weeks leading up to the show to design a custom piece of clothing.

Vivian Higgins, a sophomore fashion design student, said she felt a personal connection to the mission of Dress Up for Downs and wanted to get more involved this year. Higgins was able to work with another designer to make a custom dress for her model that allowed their personality to shine.

“It was really exciting to work with our model and get to know them on a personal basis and design something that they can wear not just during the fashion show but at other events,” Higgins said.

Dress Up for Downs raised $3,276 for DSANEO through the fashion show, but sophomore public relations major Nadia Hutkay said the student organization means more than the money it raises.

“Dress Up for Downs to me is a community full of wonderful people, inclusion and bringing light to a group that doesn’t get enough focus or recognition,” Hutkay said.

Something that makes the Dress Up for Downs Fashion Show stand out is the mutually beneficial relationship it creates between the designers and the models, said Sarah Kuhnke, a senior fashion design major and president of Dress Up for Downs.

“It’s been really amazing for me to be able to teach other people to how to design and pattern make for different body shapes and body sizes because they don’t teach that super well at school,” Kuhnke said, “so that for me really feels like I am making a difference for my peers.”

Even though this year’s fashion show is complete, Dress Up for Downs is still welcoming new members. To learn more or get involved with the organization visit its Instagram here.

Sage Mason is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].