International Women’s Day event at Kent State teaches gender equity across the globe

Faith Fistler

A panel discusses gender equity across the globe in honor of International Women’s Day (from right to left: Alizée Portrel, Parnia Azini, Kristina Nepomuceno-Nieves, Ikram Toumi and Ivana Krsteska)

Faith Fistler, Reporter

While every country is at a different stage in its progress toward gender equity, International Women’s Day acknowledged the efforts made so far and the work that still needs to be done. 

Kent State offered a range of activities and events for students during this year’s celebration, including programming centered around embracing gender equity around the world in the Center for Undergraduate Success.

The Women’s Center, in collaboration with the Office of Global Education, Office of International Student Affairs, Community Engaged Learning and the Gerald H. Read Center, organized this year’s festivities. 

Amanda Johnson, director of the Gerald H. Center for International and Intercultural Education, said the annual event has evolved to be more student-focused. 

“We’ve engaged several women, international students here, graduate students, particularly in the college to participate from different countries talking about women,” Amanda said. 

The event featured a panel of guest speakers and a student-created gallery showcasing 10 different countries and their strides toward gender equity. Attendees had the opportunity to learn about gender progression and issues across the world through the presentations and by connecting with featured panelists. 

“I want them to kind of walk away with a better and deeper understanding of what it looks like to be a woman in another country,” Amanda said. 

Sophomore aeronautics major Jackie Johnson heard about the event through a friend. 

“We recently traveled to Israel and had experience with learning about women in Israel, so we thought it’d be cool to come here and learn about different countries,” Jackie said. 

The centerpiece of the event was the panel discussion of women from five different nations. Women’s Center intern and panel host, Alizée Portrel, centered the various talking points around education, growing up, American culture and embracing equity. 

The women on the panel offered diverse experiences and knowledge from their differing backgrounds. One panelist shared the equality of the Philippines. Another shared the ongoing protests for justice in Iran. 

“It doesn’t matter how progressive a country is, you will always find ways where women are held to different standards,” said panelist and assistant professor Ikram Toumi. 

While International Women’s Day is over, there are still opportunities for everyone to advocate for gender equality. The Women’s Center offers events and educational programs to get involved with the community throughout the semester. 

“So being an advocate and an ally of women and their reproductive rights is super important,” Amanda said. “I’d like to see more students being involved in that as well. And honestly, at the end of the day, go out and vote.”

Faith Fistler is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].