New campus mental health resource: the Well Hub

Abigail Griffith

Kent State of Well-being works though the Well Hub inside the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Malina Andamasaris, Reporter

The Well Hub is a brand-new space that offers programming, education and resources for students and the community.

The Kent State of Well-being opened the Well Hub in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center on February 22. It is located in the old pro shop, which is to the right of the ground level entrance of the REC. People can access the Well-Hub without checking into the REC.

Display case with brochures and information located in the new Well Hub inside the Student Recreation and Wellness Center Feb. 22, 2023. (Abigail Griffith)

Its overall focus is the eight dimensions of well-being which include emotional, spiritual, intellectual, physical, environmental, financial, relational and occupational, said Meghan Factor-Page, assistant director of Kent State Well-being. The descriptions of these eight dimensions can be found on the website.

The programming incorporates different sessions about anything related to wellness and health. This includes stress management, sexual health, alcohol awareness, tobacco cessation and more, Factor-Page said.

Each session has a set time and date that is posted on the website.

According to the website, some other services the Well Hub offers are valiant blood drives, free HIV testing, Wellness Wednesdays and meditation training across campus.

Wellness Wednesdays are located in the Mall in the REC and includes wellness education, activities and giveaways from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., open to all students. These occur every Wednesday during the academic year, the website stated.

Wellness consultations are also offered at the Well Hub, which consists of talking to a peer educator about goals regarding their health and well-being.

“I think having the Well-Hub and having these resources available to students can help them find the resources they need,” Peer Educator Rachel Cochran said.

Students and faculty enjoying the new Well Hub located inside the Student Recreation and Wellness Center Feb. 22, 2023. (Abigail Griffith)

The peer educators can also relay students to resources available at Kent State such as going to therapy, joining a meditation class or referring students to a program that would help with their struggles, such as counseling and psychological services, Factor-Page said.

“The Well-Hub is also a space to connect with our well-being team,” Factor-Page said.

The Well-Hub team is also capable of doing programming outside of their location in the REC by request. The week of March 2, the Well-Hub team did an alcohol awareness session for the interfraternity council which consisted of the team meeting this organization outside of their original location, Factor-Page said.

There is a Programs By Request tab on the website that can be filled out two weeks prior to when the session would take place. If a student organization would want a certain topic to be talked about at one of their weekly meetings or at an event, they could fill out this form.

The Well-Hub is here to educate and help students, faculty and the community with the importance of wellness and well-being.

“We can be a piece of that pie to help you with resources, education or with practice,” Factor-Page said.

Malina Andamasaris is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].