Fire department called for small fire in Student Center

A wall heating unit caught fire outside the second floor kitchen in the Student Center Wednesday. 

Kent Fire Lt. Craig Peeps told the Record-Courier at approximately 6 p.m. Wednesday, crews were notified of the fire. Employees were able to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher before crews arrived.

Kent State University put out a KSU advisory around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday stating the fire was “immediately extinguished by the fire suppression system.”

Peeps told the Record-Courier the suppression system was actually activated in the kitchen and was separated from the extinguishing of the heating unit. 

The Student Center reopened successfully Thursday at 7 a.m. Student Center employees were told to report at their scheduled times, unless otherwise directed by a supervisor.

Contact Gina at [email protected].