Diamond at Dix renovations underway

Jacob Brooks, Reporter

Diamond at the Dix, home of Kent State’s softball team, is undergoing a massive renovation.

Previously, the mix of natural and turf surface meant an uneven field and it would often get muddy when the ground thawed in the spring, making it unplayable.

The project to improve the field was funded by Judy Devine, who served in various capacities in Kent State’s athletic department in the 1960s and 1970s. She donated $250 thousand to the project.

Plans call for a new turf outfield to replace the grass along with an improved infield surface, and new fencing to give spectators a better viewing experience.

The expected completion date is April 3.

The problem wasn’t necessarily the natural surface. Many of the issues stemmed from Northeast Ohio’s volatile winters. Cold weather meant the ground was often frozen. A break from the cold didn’t necessarily mean a break from field issues.

Posts for a new fence are placed along the border of the new softball field while gravel fills the outfield during the construction of the Divine Diamond Feb. 21, 2023. (Matthew Brown)

“You can get an early thaw if you’re lucky but a lot of times we get a late thaw which means we’re playing on a surface that might be hard,” said Eric Oakley, head coach. “But, as the sun comes out during the day, the water starts to seep up. It becomes unplayable.”

These scenarios have caused issues in the past, like when Kent couldn’t play a home series against Ball State University because of the Diamond’s quality.

“And that may have, very well, impacted the standings that year,” he said.

Practices were often canceled, too.

“There were times where we might get one practice in before our first game,” Oakley said.

This season, while construction is underway, the team has been utilizing other spots for practice such as the indoor Edmonds Baseball and Training Facility on campus and the baseball field, made of turf.

Reagan Schultz, freshman infielder, said she does not expect the changing of playing surfaces to affect the performance of her or her team.

Bulldozers and other heavy machinery have been brought in for the construction of the Divine Diamond Feb. 21, 2023. (Matthew Brown)

“We’ve been [playing at] different locations since we’ve been really young. So [we’re] prepared for everything,” she said.

Schultz said the new surface will allow players to get to the ball quicker because “turf is more bouncy.”

This summer, work will begin on new dugouts and new netting along the perimeter. That work is expected to be complete by the fall.

“My team and I are very grateful for the donors that made this possible. So, we really appreciate that. And I hope for more improvements to come in the future,” Schultz said.

Jacob Brooks is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].