Softball splits conference opener with Ball State

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

Kent State’s softball team opened Mid-American Conference play, splitting a doubleheader with Ball State. 

The Flashes scored 13 runs Friday against BSU. The team is eighth in the conference with 78 runs scored. 

KSU is now 6-15 on the season – the Cardinals move to 11-13 overall and 1-2 in the conference. 

The game was moved to Baldwin Wallace due to ongoing renovations to Devine Diamond. 

Game 1

Kent State won its first conference game 4-3 on a walk-off double by redshirt senior infielder Alexandria Whitemore. 

After walking the bases loaded in the first inning, redshirt senior pitcher Anilese Kelly struck out the BSU batter, stranding all three runners on base.

The Flashes would have their biggest inning in the first, scoring three runs after a bases-loaded walk and a double by junior outfielder Jade Ramer that drove in two runs.

After scoring two runs in the top of the third, the Cardinals trailed 3-2. 

Despite leaving seven runners on base over the next three innings, KSU held Ball State to just two hits during that time. 

BSU started the final inning with a leadoff double and then moved the runner to third on a sacrifice bunt. 

A flyball to left field brought the tying run home, making the score 3-3. 

Sophomore utility player Delaney Robeson started the seventh inning with a leadoff single and advanced to second on a passed ball. 

With one out, Whitemore stepped to the plate and hit a deep fly ball to the warning track in center field, bringing home the winning run. 

Ramer scored two runs and reached base four times on two hits and two walks. 

Freshman pitcher Macy Irelan (3-6) earned the victory after pitching the final three innings in relief. She recorded three strikeouts, allowing one run on two hits. 

Kelly, who started her eighth game, totaled three strikeouts, allowing two runs on three hits. 

Game 2

The Flashes allowed a season-high 15 runs, as Ball State took the second game 15-9. 

BSU jumped out to an early lead, scoring three runs in the first innings. 

KSU answered back after Senior infielder Julia Mazanec led off the inning with a home run to right field – her first of the season. Two more runs came across after a fielding error by the Cardinals, tying the game 3-3. 

In the top of the second, BSU would take a 6-3 lead after an RBI-double and a two-run homer. 

KSU continued to fight; freshman catcher Bekah Zachrich scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the second, and another run came across on a fielder’s choice, making the score 6-5. 

Over the two innings, the Cardinals would score one run as KSU was held hitless – the score was now 7-5. 

After having two players reach base via a fielding error and a single, Ball State hit a three-run homer to center field, extending its lead to 10-5.

The Flashes took advantage of a Cardinal error in the bottom of the fifth en route to scoring four runs, with three coming on a double to left field by Zachrich. 

BSU would score again off a two-out double in the top of the sixth. Robeson was able to prevent a run from scoring after a relay throw to the plate to end the inning. 

The Cardinals scored four runs in the seventh and was the game’s final scoring play. 

Kelly (2-5) pitched four innings in relief, recording three strikeouts and allowing four runs on six hits. 

Senior pitcher Morgan Bowers, who started the game, could not record an out as the Cardinals recorded two hits and three runs – all unearned for Bowers. 

Zachrich’s three RBIs brought her season total to five. 

Kent State will now travel to Columbus, taking on Ohio State (17-7), which is on an 11-game winning streak. First pitch is 4 p.m. on Tuesday. 

The Flashes will return to conference play Friday when they open a three-game series with Akron. 

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].