Best sandwich

Matthew Brown

Franklin Deli Owner Carl Picelle and other members of his staff work behind the counter to prepare meals for customers March 15. Franklin Square Deli is located at 108 S. Water St.

Adriana Gasiewski, Reporter

FIRST: Franklin Square Deli

Founded forty years ago in late March of 1983 by owner Carl Picelle, Franklin Square Deli has been serving a selection of different sandwiches, homemade soups and other foods such as salads and pizzas.

Customers ranging from college-aged students to older community members. 

“Very fortunately, our customer base spreads across the spectrum,” Picelle said. “From KSU students to some of the communitie’s seniors. We are very proud that we serve food that appeals to all ages.”

Customer Debbie Miller, who formerly worked at David’s Tree Expert company, used to stop by Franklin Square Deli during her lunch breaks at work. 

“The people were really friendly, and the service was very quick for a working woman,” Miller said. “I absolutely loved it, the soups were fantastic.” 

The shop gets the most busy during lunch, Picelle said. 

“We have always been busiest through the lunch hours on a daily basis,” Picelle said. “Weekends and some other days, we stay busy throughout the day.”

With serving the Kent community for years, there have been a few menu changes to meet changing interests. 

“After 40 years, the menu we currently serve represents the pinnacle of all the menus over the years and truly offers tastes and pleasure for every craving,” Picelle said.

Picelle said his place’s soups and daily sandwich specials are “quite unique.” 

“The Bronx” with roast beef,  the “Philadelphian” with corned beef and “The Destroyer,” which features every meat and cheese available, are a few sandwich options. Franklin Square Deli also sells built-to-order subs and bagel and ciabatta sandwiches. 

SECOND: Penn Station 

Penn Station East Coast Subs has served Kent customers for twelve years. Found on Willow Street, the restaurant is currently owned by franchise owner Robert Nelson.

Since the business is near Kent State University, a majority of their clientele is composed of college students, according to Nelson. The stop’s busiest hours are during lunch and dinner time.  

Nelson said he and his staff are able to handle those customer influxes. 

“We have down time in the afternoon to do more fresh prep for the dinner time rush,” he said. 

Penn Station mainly specializes in sandwiches, according to general manager Tony Garnono. His favorite sandwich is the Italian, which he said is one of the most popular options. 

Penn Station is located at 115 N. Willow St. (Yasmeen Matthews)

Nelson said the shop’s cheese steak is popular. 

“Our Philly Cheese Steak is our best selling sub, and in my opinion, once you’ve tried it or any one of our grilled or Cold subs, you will be a customer for life,” he said.

Other sandwich items include Turkey Bacon Ranch, Chicken Teriyaki and Chicken Parmesan. Besides sub sandwiches, Penn Station also sells freshly-made lemonade and iced tea, among other soft drinks. Fries, cheese bread and salad also appear on the menu.

“Since 1985, Penn Station has focused on serving the customers a Sub sandwich made from fresh prep, fresh squeezed lemonade and a fresh baked cookie,” he stated.

In addition to offering a variety of freshly-made food, Penn Station has also made efforts to help Kent’s community, Nelson said. He discussed random acts of kindness. 

“We believe in supporting the community through random acts of kindness,’ Nelson said. “It is always nice to see people helping others and rewarding them for their kindness.”

THIRD: Steak-eez

Since 2015, Steak-eez has served customers with its famous Cheesesteak sandwiches.

Steak-eez opens at 3 p.m. and remains open after midnight everyday but Sunday. Those late hours are the restaurant’s busiest, according to manager Rosie Istocka.

According to Steak-eez’s website, when the shop’s owners saw long lines forming at 2 p.m. at Philly Cheesesteak restaurants in Philadelphia, they wanted to open their own place but with later hours. 

“It was 2 p.m. on a Tuesday, and two lines were found, one line waiting at Gino’s, and the other at Pat’s. Let me repeat, the popularity demanded a line at 2 p.m., on a Tuesday,” the website reads.  

Since the business opens later, a large part of their clientele is composed of Kent State students.

Steak-eez serves the best cheesesteaks in the area, Istocka said.

In addition to its Philly Cheesesteak, Istocka also said their Chicken Bacon Ranch sandwich is another popular order. Another top-selling item is their fry bowls, which includes combinations of the spot’s sandwich topping piled onto a plate of fries.

Steak-ezz also offers vegetarian options such as their Veggie Sub, Classic Melt and most of their fresh cut fries.

Adriana Gasiewski is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]