House Bill 83, new programs discussed at Faculty Senate

Sage Mason, Reporter

The Faculty Senate discussed topics including Ohio House Bill 83, electing new officers and voting on new college programs April 10.

During the Chair’s Remarks, Tracy Laux, the faculty senate chair and a senior mathematics lecturer, urged other faculty members to research Ohio Senate Bill 83. If passed, Senate Bill 83 would limit what topics can be taught at public colleges and universities in Ohio.

“I do not know if everyone here hates everything that is in Senate Bill 83,” said Laux, “but I am sure that everyone can find something to hate in Senate Bill 83.”

Laux gave the senate action steps they can take to advocate against the passing of the bill. These steps included reading the bill, identifying what disagreements they have with it and forming arguments and written comments to send to senators.

Following the Chair’s Remarks, Mandy Munro-Stasiuk, the dean for the College of the Arts and Sciences, presented the Climate Study Report for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Kent State. This study took place during the 2021 spring semester. A similar study was conducted in 2016. When comparing the two studies, it was found morale around the climate surrounding DEI on campus had become lower.

“We can actually see that overall the climate actually decreased a little bit,” said Munro-Stasiuk, “so people were not feeling as good about things in 2021 versus 2016.”

The full Climate Study report will be posted publicly in the upcoming weeks.

The Faculty Senate also heard a proposal made by Associate Professor Blake Stringer from the College of Aeronautics and Engineering to establish a Center for Advanced Air Mobility and a proposal made by College of the Arts and Science School Director Julie Mazzei to make Gender and Sexuality Studies a major within the college. Both passed unanimously.

Both Tracy Laux and Edward Dauterich were reelected into their positions as Chair and Secretary respectively.

The meeting ended with a presentation from the Center for Teaching and Learning. The presentation focused on how students’ college experiences have a direct correlation with their experience with faculty and professors. The presenter shared that a new mentor program for incoming professors will be put in place soon in hopes of focusing on belonging and community within the university.

For more information on the Faculty Senate and upcoming meetings, visit its website here.

Sage Mason is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].