Provost’s office staff plays role in hiring, planning, providing support

Jocy Holtsberry, Reporter

Hiring, planning and providing support are all key aspects to the Office of the Provost. The provost uses her support staff to execute these aspects. 

Melody Tankersley serves as provost and oversees anything in the academic realm for the university.

Project Director

Jennifer Hebebrand is the project director in the Office of the Provost. (Courtesy of Kent State University)

As project director, Jennifer Hebebrand provides executive support to the provost by acting as a liaison and taking charge of large-scale human resource searches for positions such as dean and manages high-level executive projects.

“I think it’s very hard to describe [my job] because I do a little bit of everything,” Hebebrand said. “I think of myself as chief of staff.”

Hebebrand has worked in multiple positions with the university.

“I grew into this role,” Hebebrand said, who’s been working at the university for nine years.  

Hebebrand started at the university as an assistant to the vice president for Information Technology.

“I did a lot of project management and loved it, but I did not enjoy being disconnected because Information Technology, in a way, is the backend,” Hebebrand said.” I wanted to connect with the students.” 

Following her position in Information Technology, Hebebrand found a project management role in the graduate college. At the time, Tankersley was dean of the graduate college. Hebebrand followed Tankersley when she moved into the role of Provost.

“I enjoy every minute I’m with the provost and would follow her anywhere,” Hebebrand said. 

Assistant 

Tracee Jackson is the assistant to an executive officer. (Courtesy of Kent State University)

While Hebebrand handles many external facets of the provost, assistant to an executive officer Tracee Jackson handles the internal affairs of the provost. 

“Most of my job is prep and clerical work,” Jackson said. “I make sure the provost gets to where she needs to get to.” 

Jackson’s other responsibilities include planning office holiday parties and preparing for special guests.

The position of assistant to an executive officer keeps Jackson busy.

“No two days are the same here,” Jackson said. “You’re busy from the time you walk in until the time you leave.”

Like Hebebrand, Jackson holds a lot of appreciation for the provost. 

Tankersley is more than a boss and prioritizes staff even when they’re not in the office.

“Outside of Kent [State], she is your friend,” Jackson said. “I value that more than our working relationship.” 

Operations 

Shelby Burkhart is the administrative operations manager for the Office of the Provost. (Courtesy of Shelby Burkhart)

The work the office is trying to accomplish motivates the provost’s executive support staff. 

“I know that we’re really trying to open access and accessibility to anyone who wants an education,” Administrative Operations Manager Shelby Burkhart said. “It’s interesting to see that unfold and see everyone at this level work together.”

Open Door Policy

The provost’s open-door policy allows student concerns to be addressed promptly. This policy is implemented through a mailbox where students can submit any problems or concerns. A staff member or the provost will then help answer the student’s questions. 

“The provost wants students to know it’s okay to ask for help,” Hebebrand said.

Much of the executive support staff aims to improve the lives of students.

“The things that touch my desk have a direct effect on student and faculty well-being,” Hebebrand said. “What we do here directly correlates to students.” 

Jocy Holtsberry is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].