Cynthia Peeples presents on legislative changes to education in Ohio

Andrew Wise, Reporter

On Thursday, Cynthia Peeples, board director for League of Women Voters of Ohio and Honesty for Ohio Education founding director presented on the state of education in Ohio at a meeting at Kent State Social Services.

During her presentation, Peeples addressed various upcoming education laws proposed in the Ohio State Legislature, including Senate Bill 83 which passed in the Ohio Senate Wednesday. She criticized the legislative efforts as attempts to undermine diversity, equality and inclusivity in Ohio’s education system.

Peeples discussed multiple bills in addition to SB 83, emphasizing that the Ohio Legislature had introduced several education-related bills to confuse and overwhelm voters and the general public. Notable bills mentioned were HB 8, which requires parental notification for student-staff discussions or use of explicit material; SB 11 and HB 11, which establish a statewide Ohio K-12 universal voucher program to give federal public education money to private schools; SB 14, which permits veterans to teach without a license; and HB 103, which establishes a task force to revise academic standards for K-12 education in Ohio.

Peeples underscored the importance of embracing diversity, equality, and inclusion in Ohio’s education system, and said the current Ohio Legislature fails to prioritize these values. She expressed concerns that students from diverse backgrounds may face challenges that negatively impact their mental health without open discussions and the inclusion of various perspectives. Peeples attributed the influence of interest groups in shaping the Ohio Legislature and accused them of prioritizing political agendas over the well-being and education of students.

When asked about potential actions students could take to oppose the passage of these bills and protect places like Kent State from such changes, Peeples encouraged student advocacy, group collaboration and discussions to raise awareness and halt the progress of bills like SB 83.

Peeples also called for educational institutions like Kent State’s administration to take a stronger stance against the legislation proposed by the Ohio State Legislature.

Andrew Wise is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].