Affordable student art for sale in art building

Sarah Lack

Student artists at Kent State are learning that you don’t have to be a van Gogh or a Warhol to make money by selling your art.

The Kent State Art Club Holiday Sale opened Tuesday in the Art Building and will continue through Thursday. The sale gives student artists the opportunity to learn about pricing and selling their work, but it also gives buyers the opportunity to buy quality artwork for a fraction of the cost.

Natalie Petrosky, co-president of the Art Club, said that most of the students with art in the Holiday Sale are fine art majors with work like photos, prints and paintings.

“I think it is a good experience for students in learning how to market their art,” Petrosky said. “They have to think about how it is presented and packaged, as well as how much to charge for it, which is a lot harder than one would imagine.”

Most of the work is smaller and reasonably priced, so that other students, as well as staff and faculty members, can purchase pieces without breaking the bank.

Other departments in the School of Art, including glass, ceramics and jewelry, regularly have sales where students can sell their work. Petrosky said that she sees Art Club having a sale every semester as well.

Many kinds of art are included in the sale, but all of the pieces are made by students.

“All the work is student work, and it is up to the individual to decide what they want to sell,” Petrosky said. “No one wants to have ‘bad art’ for sale, so quality has never really been a problem. I have not refused anyone from being in the sale. Frankly, the more the merrier, and it is open to all.”

Items ranging from photos, prints and paintings, to homemade sketch books, cards and buttons are included in the sale. Most items are priced between $10 and $30, and nothing is priced over $100.

“The holiday sale is special because it gives the student body and faculty a chance to see our work outside of the classroom or even for the first time,” Petrosky said. “The things in the sale are unique items that are handmade by students. They make great presents and are a little more meaningful than a gift certificate to Target.”

The Art Club Holiday Sale will continue Wednesday in the Art Building from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Thursday on the first floor of the Student Center from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Contact Sarah Lack at [email protected].