Fashion Museum nationally accredited

Dawn Einsel

Kent State University Museum Director Jean Druesedow has binders and boxes full of paperwork beneath her desk. They are a testament to the hard work and dedication that led to the museum’s recent accreditation by the American Association of Museums.

In March, the museum received news of the high honor; a payoff for an extensive self study that took about four years. The study encompassed all the practices, policies and procedures involved with running the museum.

“It’s very wonderful,” said Druesedow. “It tells the world that you are operating at the highest standards; that you are professional in what you do so that people who are lending you objects or giving you objects will know that they will be well cared for.”

After Druesedow sent in all the required information for a lengthy accreditation resources kit, the AAM Accreditation Committee met for discussion and review. A visit to the museum followed. Last August, two committee members came to make sure that the submitted documents were correct.

“They were wowed,” said Druesedow. “They couldn’t believe when they walked in the door what they saw, and they really couldn’t believe how much we were able to accomplish with a very limited staff and a very limited budget.”

The process will need to be repeated to ensure that the high standards of operation are continued, but not for another 15 years.

The museum has eight galleries that house ever-changing exhibitions by well-known designers and artists. The newest exhibition, titled “Collectors and Collecting,” will open at the end of this month.

“For the Kent State University Museum to have attained accreditation for the first time represents a real achievement,” AAM President Ford Bell said in a university press release. “Everyone affiliated with the university and in the surrounding community can take pride that they have in their midst one of America’s best museums.”

Contact School of Fashion reporter Dawn Einsel at [email protected].