Fight at Campus Pointe still under investigation

Ashley Sepanski

The Portage County Sheriff’s Department has not given a report to Portage County prosecutors and is still investigating a fight that occurred last weekend at Campus Pointe, Sheriff David Doak said yesterday.

Although Maj. Dennis Missimi previously said the report was given to the Portage County Prosecutor’s Office and prosecutors would decide whether to file charges by the end of this week, Doak said the report did not contain enough substantial evidence to submit.

Before the report is referred to prosecutors, Doak said deputies need to conduct more interviews.

“There has been a lot of finger pointing,” Doak said. “Nobody is identifying anyone, and we have a lot of unsubstantiated claims. We want confirmed evidence if there’s going to be charges.”

The fight began around 1:50 a.m. on Sept. 26. The first call recorded on Portage County dispatch logs came in at 1:51. Witnesses and records reported a fight of about 30 to 40 people attacking each other as well as a single victim.

The 911 calls continued, referencing the fight and mentioning the presence of guns, until at least 2:08 a.m. Several witnesses said the majority of people dispersed and hid after officers arrived.

Doak said he sent deputies to continue the investigation as well as re-interview a few people in an attempt to gain concrete evidence.

“I’m not sure why we’re even sending it to the prosecutor at this point,” Doak said. “Knowing what I know, there’s not enough to file criminal charges unless (a deputy) gets additional statements.”

Kent State President Lester Lefton said in an editor’s meeting on Oct. 1 that the incident was most likely a result of alcohol and should not reflect badly on the university.

“What is of concern to me is that some of the people involved are our students,” Lefton said. “We work at promoting civility, discourse.”

But Lefton said he has no control when it comes to off-campus activities.

“I can’t send my cops down to Campus Pointe,” Lefton said. “They have no authority there.”

Although one of the apartments associated with the fight is rented by at least one member of the Kent State basketball team, the Athletic Department has previously stated that to their knowledge, no players were involved in the brawl.

Once deputies finish their additional inquiries, Doak said he expects the investigation to be wrapped up in the next couple of days.

Contact Ashley Sepanski at [email protected].

Related coverage:

Fight at Campus Pointe parking lot may have involved 40 people

Campus Pointe brawl 911 calls (Audio)

Campus Pointe to hold meeting after massive weekend brawl

No charges expected in weekend brawl

Basketball players cited in connection to 40 member brawl