Hump day cheers and jeers for April 7

DKS Editors

DKS Editors give this week’s cheers and jeers

There’s only two jeers this week…and the Indians still made their way on the list.

CHEERS TO

• Cheers to the Kent State students who traveled to New Orleans over break to help rebuild the city. Hurricane Katrina may have occurred more than four years ago, but the destruction still remains.

• Cheers to Kent State men’s basketball coach Geno Ford, who last week received a two-year contract extension through the 2014-15 season. Hopefully, Ford can keep the Flashes’ winning tradition going.

• Cheers to the Kent Presbyterian Church for its plan to construct substance-free, off-campus student apartments. We’re glad to see the church help out with Kent State’s overcrowding problem.

• Cheers to Empower Portage for creating an initiative to teach people about social class mobility in order for them to move out of poverty. Poverty is a big problem in this region, and any help people can get is good.

JEERS TO

• Jeers to the Indians for falling flat in their season opener, losing 6-0 to the Chicago White Sox. Let’s hope it’s not a sign of a long, losing summer.

• Jeers to Spirit Airlines, which announced yesterday it plans to charge between $20 and $45 for carry-on bags. We wish the constant travel cost increases would stop.