Moratorium on social events continues

Christine Morgan

The social events moratorium continues even after the November 2010 meeting that brought hope for members of student organizations who wished the current policy to be lifted.

“This semester, we are having a set of follow-up meetings and discussions to examine what other colleges are doing,” said Timeka Rashid, assistant dean of students and director of the Center for Student Involvement.

“This is a whole-semester process. The moratorium is still in affect because we want to make sure we give due diligence and justice in discussing and re-examining the policy,” she said.

Rashid said members of CSI, officials from the KSU police department and representatives from student organizations would attend the meetings.

The moratorium is an unwritten ban on social events, created in response to behavioral incidents at isolated events in fall 2009. Rashid said she hopes to have the policy lifted for next semester.

Greg Jarvie, vice president for enrollment management and student affairs, said the current policy forbids on-campus dances or parties.

“Some very serious behavioral issues occurred that were related to serious assaults,” Jarvie said. “At that time, I decided to put a moratorium on the dances. At the meeting in November we talked about the effort it would take if we wanted to bring those dances back. The effort included students understanding the policy, the members of student organizations taking responsibility and following through with those policies.”

Jarvie said at the November meeting students responded positively, but the policy will not be lifted until he and his division feel confident that the events of 2009 will not re-occur.

“Our number one concern is the safety of our students and the safety of their guests at those events,” Jarvie said. “We are not going to do anything until this office and myself are comfortable knowing that we covered everything related to safety, policy development and consequences if people don’t follow though.”

Alex Minko, treasurer of Kappa Kappa Psi, said he agrees that safety should be the number one concern for campus events, but the policy is unfair to organizations that act responsibly.

“I don’t think the policy should stay in effect,” Minko said. “I can see where the university is coming from, but it is unfair that all student organizations have to be punished because of the irresponsibility of a few students.”

Jarvie said he is prepared to leave fall 2009 behind and begin to move toward the future, which will possibly result in the elimination of the moratorium.

“I’ve always been the one to say anything can be worked out and the first to say everyone deserves another chance,” Jarvie said. “I’m all for moving forward.”

Contact Christine Morgan at [email protected].